Saturday 9 April 2016

Ought + Wreckage With Stick + Caro Diaro

Show: Ought | Wreckage With Stick | Caro Diaro
Venue: La Sala Rossa
Date: Friday, April 8th, 2016

I know I haven't written anything lately. I've been to a few shows in the past months. Some good, but sometimes life changes you and therefore you decide to sleep instead of exhausting all that energy. These days collages have been my means of expression.

Love this blog though. I won't quit.

JJ and I bought tickets for this event quite in advance. I've never seen Ought in concert because, well, I haven't payed attention to them until a few months ago when I purchased More Than Any Other Day. Which I love.



The first set. Caro Diaro. Watched her perform before at the Ritz. The reason we arrived early really. Didn't want to miss this set. I know she's alone on stage with only voice and guitar. She could use some extra instruments. But what she gives is good. Manages to play different musical styles without losing herself. The crowd may say, not paying attention to her subtleties, it all sounds the same. It doesn't. There's anger and there's country music. Loved her country song. The evening might have begun with the crowd conversing instead of listening but as the set ended the floor was quiet.

Caro Diaro




Second act. Wreckage With Stick. Punk. Loved it at first but had to leave before the end. Couldn't take it anymore. Walked to the bar and bought us some beers. The singer, Matthew D. Reading, reminds me of a character in a Daniel Clowes graphic novel with lyrics such as "I tried, I tried and I failed" repeated over and over. Only this guy is very theatrical and puts on quite a show (until you're too depressed to keep on watching). At the far right of the stage you have someone eating pasta with a glass of wine. A guy in a alien mask had served him the chicken. This caused JJ to react. Asked me if I thought we had aliens with us here at the venue. JJ is weird sometimes. Talked to him about prostate cancer and he starts singing "avec mes grosses couilles" from Philippe Katherine's "Efféminé".

Wreckage With Stick




Main act. Ought. By this time my eyes are small. Have small eyes because either I drink too much or my body needs a bed. Had only two beers that evening. The singer Tim Darcy is captivating. Like with the other two performers that evening, the emotions vocally are palpable. There's so much going out of that thin frame.

Ought

We left the venue for the cold air (we're in April damn it) thinking of my bed. I'll be slowly resurfacing though. We all will. Summer is on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment