Saturday 23 May 2015

Tame Impala | Mini Mansions

Show: Tame Impala + Mini Mansions
Venue: Metropolis, Montreal
Date: Wednesday, May 20th, 2015

A friend quoted his girlfriend on facebook : "Pas assez de talk pis trop de show"*.
The quote, which I have nothing to do with, triggered something in me. Am I going to too many concerts? Indeed. To the point now that I regularly leave before it's ending. Tame Impala is not an exception. Enjoy them but not a fan of the Metropolis. Spent my time walking around trying to find the best spot for sound.

Let's start with the opening act, Mini Mansions. Splendorous. Never heard them before. Fell hard for their pop sound. Band members are Michael Shuman (Queens of the Stone Age), Zach Dawes and Tyler Parkford.




Mini Mansions

A laid back Californian kinda sound which I love. Even Blondie's "Heart of Glass" tempo was slowed down (youtube).



Featuring Brian Wilson (side note, Colin Hanks is a great actor)




Ny favorite, featuring Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner.

Is nice to have famous musicians featured in songs. They would've been good either way though. Catchy. Good harmonies. With Mini Mansions, am not afraid to say I like pop. But is that what it is? Am never good at categorizing.

Wanted to buy their record but they only had 45s. Not a fan of 45s. I know I'm not suppose to say that if i want to sound cool.

Was a bit disappointed when Tame Impala stepped on stage. I don't think they're right for the Metropolis. The sound wasn't great for Mini Mansions either but the drumming made it better. The Tame Impala sound is "mou" in a good way. A very specific sound that needs a very specific venue.


Tame Impala




While I was walking around trying to find the best spot for sound.

The lighting effect was great though. Filmed it in slow motion.

 

Left before the end.
Will probably happen again.


* Too many shows. Not enough talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment