Thursday 27 August 2015

Miracle Fortress | Moonface | Théâtre Fairmount

Show: Miracle Fortress + Moonface
Venue: Théâtre Fairmount, Montreal
Date: Wednesday, August 26th, 2015

Showed up for Moonface (love his music). Am only somewhat aware of Miracle Fortress. Arrive around 9pm. Had time to inspect my surroundings. The place was very bright. Dance music was playing, or is it House? Am not an expert. A cotton candy stand somewhere. A floral wreath stand by the stage. Video games. Everybody seemed happy but will they stay happy when Spencer Krug (Moonface) steps on stage? Don't think they know what's waiting for them. And assuredly, all along the performance the majority were conversing. V tells me they shouldn't have booked Moonface for this event. I say they shouldn't have organized a party for a Moonface event.


Moonface
 
The first song is long, barely any lyrics, mostly piano. Am wondering, is this to test the sound that he has chosen this piece as its first? The sound guy, we have later realized, uses an Ipad. It's brilliant. Now moving all over the venue for adjustments. 

Throughout the set am unfortunately facing his back. Then again, maybe it's a good thing. Concentrated on the music rather than on his face. And anyhow, his body is expressive, you don't need much more.


Moonface

For people who might not know who Moonface is. It's one guy with a voice and a piano. Lyrics are very important. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it doesn't. As with the last song played that evening. A "new song about dreaming", he tells us, "which we will probably not enjoy". He was right. The lyrics were repetitive. Not my type of thing.

My favorite song of the evening is of course the one played from the album Julia With Blue Jeans On, "Love The House You're In". He had no intentions to play a song from that album and in fact he seemed hesitant before playing. I would've screamed "the crazy song!" during that moment of silence but decided to be respectful as was the crowd up front. We waited patiently.



Next up was Miracle Fortress. Didn't know much about Graham Van Pelt so decided to do a bit of research beforehand. Listened to both LP's. I've got to tell you, I much prefer the first album Five Roses to the latest Was I The Wave?. I find there's too much emphasis on the beats, also somewhat repetitive, than on anything else. Five Roses is beautiful though, will gladly add the album to my collection.




Excluding the pitch problems, it was quite enjoyable. I tell you, being bothered by pitch issues sucks. Have you ever heard me sing karaoke? Am terrible. Don't understand why I'd be bothered by it. Just sayin'.

Miracle Fortress

That's about it.
xx China

No comments:

Post a Comment