Saturday 25 April 2015

Michael Hurley at the Vitrola

Show: Michael Hurley + Myriam Gendron
Venue: La Vitrola
Date: Friday, April 24th, 2015

I love love love love love that guy! Didn't know him beforehand. I've been missing out.

Lets start from earlier Friday evening. Met friends at Papier 15, an annual contemporary art fair of works on paper. There are some beautiful pieces but I feel uncomfortable there. Was hoping nobody would notice the hole in my shoe. Mesmerized by the works of Ken Nicol though. Repeated swear words on paper which form a delicate pattern.

The word shit (close up). From the series Fuck the bunny suit version 1
(exposed at galerie Antoine Ertaskiran)

Happy to be drinking a beer with my friends afterward but all I could think of was being at a concert. Kinda where I feel at home. Arrived too late for the opening act (Myriam Gendron) but just in time for Michael Hurley.

Michael Hurley at the Vitrola.
Alone on stage, he captivated the whole audience with his amazing and unconventional lyrics. Most of us were silenced. Couldn't even take it at some point. Had to move back for some air.




A page from one of his comic book sold at the merch table.


Ok. I'll stop praising him now.

No comments:

Post a Comment